Weekly Support Groups: NAMI and Community Support Groups are free and available virtually. Get more information at https://namibouldercounty.org/find-support/support-groups/
NAMI Committee Meetings: Join a NAMI Boulder County Committee and get involved in improving mental health in our community. See list of meetings on our Volunteer page: https://namibouldercounty.org/volunteer/.
December 3-18: Mental Health Partners FREE Virtual Events
Mental Health Partners (MHP) is offering a variety of free, virtual events for community members to receive support and resources, as well as build key coping skills during this challenging and unprecedented time.
- Thursday, December 3rd | 2:00-3:30pm. Breaking Barriers Workshop: an interactive workshop about how to break personal and external barriers to achieve health and wellness goals. Presented by Ashley Wallis, Community Health Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/breaking-barriers-and-setting-goals-tickets-129368983111
- Wednesday, December 9th | 12:00 – 1:00pm. Beyond the VA – Mental Healthcare for Veterans: an educational course outlining mental health care resources outside what the VA offers. Presented by Alaina Beaulaurier, Community Health Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beyond-the-va-mental-healthcare-for-veterans-tickets-129934434391
- Thursday, December 10th | 6:00 – 7:00pm. [Spanish-Only Workshop] Destress Your Mind, Come Play Loteria! Join us to play a virtual game of Loteria and discuss resources and support for the holiday season. Presented by Whitney Rodriguez, Community Health Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/despeja-tu-mente-ven-a-jugar-loteria-tickets-129934921849
- Friday, December 11th | 1:00 – 2:30pm. COVID and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Workshop: how to support children’s mental health during COVID-19. Presented by Jen Nelson, Child/Family Specialist – Outreach Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/supporting-childrens-mental-health-during-covid-19-tickets-129359601049
- Tuesday, December 15th | 3:15-4:15pm. What’s Cookin’ in the Pantries: an interactive workshop featuring recipes using items from food pantries to create delicious meals. Presented by Jessica Broadbent, Outreach Worker – CO Spirit Team, and Leane Vasquez – Community Health Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/whats-cookin-in-the-pantries-tickets-129936456439
- Tuesday, December 15th | 12:00-1:00pm. Parenting in the Time of COVID: Navigating the Holidays for Yourself and Kids During COVID-19. To sign up, contact Jane Seymour, Clinical Therapist, firstname.lastname@example.org, and a ZOOM invite will be sent to your email address.
- Thursday, December 17th | 6:00 – 8:00pm. Basic Coping Skills for Stress Management: this seminar focuses on basic coping skills to help with anxiety, depression, and stress. To sign up, contact Bruce Renz, Peer Support Specialist, at email@example.com and a ZOOM invite will be sent to your email address.
- Friday, December 18th | 6:00 – 7:00pm. Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Resources to Help When Money is Tight: this workshop will present community resources that can help free up money in your budget before you choose to skip a payment. Note: this is not a financial planning workshop. Presented by Jennifer Ramirez, Community Health Worker. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place-resources-to-help-when-money-is-tight-tickets-129937393241
- An interactive Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/mhpcommunityhealthworkers;
- Instagram: @MentalHealthPartnersOutreach
- Warm Line: (303) 545-0852.
- Website: www.mhpcolorado.org/community-outreach-team
- All upcoming Zoom Events here: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/mental-health-partners-31560329601C
December 11 & 12: Supporting Action for Mental Health (SAM) Mental Wellness Retreat
Supporting Action for Mental Health (SAM) presents a no cost virtual mental wellness retreat for everyone. Join us for a weekend of yoga, meditation, lectures, demonstrations, music, art, healthy relationship conversations, youth and more!
Friday, Dec. 11 6-9 PM & Saturday, Dec. 12 10 AM – 4 PM
• Welcome to Your Weekend of Mental Wellness
• Tai Chi for Health and Wellness
• Why Mental Health Matters in Youth
• Parenting with your kids, brain in mind
• Building Resilience in Your Life
• Yoga and mindfulness for kids and parents
• Couples Workshop “Loving me, loving you”
• Let it flow: Express yourself through Art
• “Uke Got This”: Manage Your Anxiety with Music
• Lecture and Healthy Food Demonstration Class
• Women Supporting Women: Finding Balance in the Midst of Overwhelm
• Self-Care, Mutual Support and Building Community
Register at https://cityoflongmont.wufoo.com/forms/sam-mental-wellness-retreat/
For more Info: 303-651-8580
December 17: NAMI In Our Own Voice Presentation
NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations change attitudes, assumptions and ideas about people with mental health conditions. These free 60-minute presentation provide a personal perspective of mental health conditions, as leaders with lived experience talk openly about what it’s like to have a mental health condition.
This presentation provides:
- An opportunity to hear open and honest perspectives on a highly misunderstood topic
- A chance to ask leaders questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions
- The understanding that people with mental health conditions have lives enriched by hopes, dreams and goals
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community
Our next presentation will be Thursday, December 17th at 6:30 pm via Zoom. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
January 12: NAMI Family-to-Family Class
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 8-week course for family caregivers of adults with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services.
Our next class will begin Tuesday, January 12th at 6:00 pm via Zoom. The class material is cumulative, so participants should plan on attending all eight classes. Please email email@example.com to register.
January 29 & 30: PEN Stress & Anxiety Symposium
Friday, January 29th and Saturday, January 30th
9:00 am – 4:00 pm with 5 – One Hour Sessions Each Day
This conference was created in response to pervasive levels of stress and anxiety in our culture, communities, families, schools, and individual experiences of day-to-day life. Now more than ever, people are in need of resources to support them in maintaining their mental-health and wellbeing. PEN’s goal is to provide parents with information and tools that empower them to take care of themselves and teach their children to do the same.
We hope that the conference will leave people Refreshed and Renewed to begin 2021. Registration Coming Soon.
Check the event calendars for our community partners:
Moving Beyond Trauma, a program of Mental Health Partners https://www.mhpcolorado.org/moving-beyond-trauma-events/
Boulder Community Hospital, Education Live Stream https://www.bch.org/Community-Events/Community-Education-Lectures-Livestream.aspx
LEAP Foundation Online Trainings https://lfrp.org/online-trainings